Technical sales engineer training program
Technical sales engineer training program
Why might a technical sales engineer training program be your next smartest investment?
Any business that employs technical sales engineers has a choice; to either settle for having average technical sales engineers on their team. The ones who are feeling their way, winning some, and losing many more to their competitors.
Or they can invest in up-skilling their technical sales engineers into the knights in shining armour of their industry.
These improved dynamic technical sales engineer professionals are the driving force behind some of the most exciting and innovative products and services on the market today.
With a uniq§ue blend of technical expertise and sales skills, these technical SE’s are the ultimate problem-solvers, helping clients navigate complex systems and find solutions that deliver ongoing and increasing value.
The best news is that the revenue-generating skills and competencies of technical sales engineers are learnable and if you go about it right, you can develop your team into the ultimate all-stars in the fast-paced world of tech.
The importance of technical sales engineers
Technical sales engineers are the lifeblood of the tech industry, bringing technical expertise and sales acumen together to create a winning formula for success.
With their deep knowledge of products and services, technical sales engineers can effectively communicate their benefits to potential clients in a way that’s both easy to understand and incredibly persuasive.
Plus, their invaluable feedback helps ensure that products are designed with customer needs in mind, maximizing sales opportunities and delivering maximum value to clients.
Why improve as a technical sales engineer?
The reasons for improving go far beyond making more sales and increasing revenue to your own business. Your clients get more value too.
Strong technical sales engineer professionals know how to optimise and maximise value to their client’s business and their own.
They know how to spot and create commercial win:win opportunities via their customer conversations, and are able to skilfully relate their technical solutions to that commercial value.
As a result, they earn respect and trust from their clients, and become stronger and more confident in themselves. In fact, the skills they learn are not just top career skills, but powerful business and life skills too.
From connecting and communicating with others, to influencing, problem solving, negotiating, and driving more valuable ideas to the right people, the more they learn on a technical sales engineer training program, the more they earn, and the stronger and more valuable they become. It’s an investment with a high ROI.
How would a technical sales engineer training program address some of their top challenges?
Technical sales engineers must be able to navigate a complex set of challenges to succeed in their role, but those who are trained and able to do so can have a major impact on the success of their company.
Common challenges that have learnable solutions include:
1. Engaging customers, building trust, understanding their business (commercial awareness) and aligning technical benefits to their business
2. Building value through conversations that justify price and USP’s and enhancing technical sills with professional high-value sales skills
3. Building rapport, and relationships with customers, being curious, empathetic, and being able to communicate technical solutions to non-technical buyers
4. Becoming a go-to respected SE, but avoiding taking on all the lower value work of sales reps
5. Finding a way to remain up to date with fast changing technology, and industry knowledge (how to build an efficient ‘awareness radar’ that gives you the edge over your competition
6. Managing your priorities, multiple projects and deadlines. Having a system that keeps you on top of the ‘hot’ stuff and doing the right things in the right ways at the right times.
7. Being an excellent collaborator between external customers and internal customers, including product development, marketing, and other stakeholders.
Who would a technical sales engineer training program be for and how does it differ from other sales training programs?
This sort of training is ideal for sales engineers, solutions architects, pre-sales, business and systems consultants, solutions engineers and the like.
A strong technical sales engineer training program would cover a broad background of strong sales skills (and mindset), communication, rapport, value-building questioning, commercial awareness, and specific technical sales capabilities such as:
1. Understanding customer needs
2. Presenting product capabilities (and presenting in general)
3. Building effective demonstrations
4. Developing relationships with customers and winning over internal customers
5. Crafting persuasive sales pitches
6. Developing technical product expertise
7. Learning product pricing and positioning
8. Utilizing sales software and tools
9. Understanding sales strategies and tactics
10. Staying up-to-date on industry trends and developments
How long would a typical technical sales engineer training program be, and what would the delivery format look like?
The best programs are not off the shelf, but tailored to your teams needs. Each team is unique, and faces very unique challenges, which should be diagnosed, with solutions designed to efficiently tackle these challenges.
Our technical sales engineer training programs are fully tailored, and tend to last anywhere between 1-3 days, if face to face. We also have online solutions, including virtual delivery over MS Teams or Zoom, and a self-directed online learning platform with all our content on in bite-sized videos to be learned at your pace, or better still, using our JIT just-in-time approach, where you learn whilst selling, at the point of need.
More info on our face to face workshops here.
And our online learning platform here.
The best way to determine the most efficient and cost-effective solution for you and your team is to get in touch.